Identity 2021 virtual sessions: The Future of Identity: a CTO Perspective
- Posted by Alex Taylor
- On Jan 19, 2021
‘The Future of Identity: a CTO Perspective’ was the fifth session of Identity 2021, the virtual event hosted by ID5 on December 3.
This session encompassed a conversation between AdExchanger‘s Allison Schiff and CTO representatives from some of the biggest names in the digital advertising sphere, including The Trade Desk’s Dave Pickles, FreeWheel’s Diane Yu, Magnite’s Tom Kershaw and Eyeota’s Anand Das.
Some of the key takeaways from the session were:
- There are challenges with pushing authenticated data or collecting email addresses as the primary route for identifying users. Some believe that a mixture of authenticated and unauthenticated data is the way to achieve scale and reduce anonymous users.
- There is a heavy emphasis on differentiating between ‘free’ and ‘paid’ content. Publishers must emphasise that content is never really ‘free’ for users to realise the value of the exchange and for authenticated data to achieve scalable success.
- Having a more transparent, understanding relationship with users is at the forefront of everyone’s minds. Publishers need to collaborate and speak the same language. There needs to be a collective, clear explanation of the user identification process for the average user to understand.
- The industry is embracing the development of new and more efficient identification solutions. Third-party cookies bring with them several issues around control and data-leakage, especially for consumers and publishers.
- Platforms prepare themselves to manage the advancing privacy regulations across different countries, such as the newly established CCPA and the CPRA set to take effect in 2023.
If you missed the session, you can watch it on-demand below.
Thank you once again to everyone who attended Identity 2021, we hope to see you here next year for Identity 2022.